Oakland's Haddon Hill Neighborhood
We live in the Haddon Hill neighborhood adjacent to Lake Merritt. Our neighborhood offers many sought after features including quaint tree-lined streets, a variety of architect designed homes from the 20s, 30s and 40s, and easy access to freeways, AC transit Express buses to SF, and BART. We are a short walk to Lakeshore shopping, and minutes from Glenview, Piedmont Avenue and Montclair Village. Some of our favorite things to do include:
On Lakeshore Avenue
On Grand Avenue
- Spettro's, a fun little neighborhood place on Lakeshore next to Starbucks, a short walk down the hill
- Cafe Mezze, an elegant Italian bistro with a fantastic bar and wonderful food
- Rolling Dunes, a great place for crepes
- Milano, another wonderful Italian place
- Hunan Village is the best Chinese takeout, not much atmosphere but great food
- Peet's Coffee is on Lakeshore and there is also a Starbucks next door to NOah's Bagels
- Cafe Arizemendi has to be the best bakery anywhere right across the from Peet's
- Lots of other little shops on Lakeshore including:
- Payprus Card Shop
- Sees Candy
- On Grand Avenue there is a great used and new bookstore called Walden Pond Book at 3316 Grand Avenue.
- Our favorite breakfast place is Lynn and Lu's on Grand Avenue.
- The best ice cream is, of course, Fenton's Creamery on Piedmont Avenue in a nearby neighborhood.
- Long's, Albertson's are on Lakeshore and a new Safeway is on Grand.
- We also have a great Farmer's Market every Saturday morning in the newly landscaped park across from the Grand Lake Theatre.
- Go to the Grand Lake Theatre on Saturday night and hear the grand organ solo half an hour before the movie begins.
- http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/facilities/points_lakemerrit.asp is a great website that tells you all the things to do on and around Lake Merritt including Children's Fairyland.
- Davies Tennis Stadium is an Oakland Public Court that is a hidden gem. It is on the Piedmont Oakland border, 198 Oak Road, and has wonderful tennis facilities, a short bike ride away form out our home at the end of Lakeshore Drive.